Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa are approaching, as festive garlands once again decorate the halls of Teachers College. We feature databases that cover the literature of holidays and celebrations as they reflect the study and teaching of curriculum, family, culture, and religion.
America: History and Life covers the history and culture of the United States and Canada, from prehistory to the present. With selective selective indexing for 1,700 journals from 1955 to present, this database is without question the most important bibliographic reference tool for students and scholars of U.S. and Canadian history. America: History & Life also provides full-text coverage of more than 200 journals and nearly 100 books.
ATLA Religion Database with ATLA Serials is produced by the American Theological Library Association. It combines the premier index to journal articles, book reviews, and collections of essays in all fields of religion with ATLA's online collection of major religion and theology journals. The ATLA Religion Database includes more than 555,000 article citations from more than 1,656 journals (518 currently indexed), more than 232,000 essay citations from over 16,700 multi-author works, and more than 511,000 book review citations. Full text is provided for more than 266,000 electronic articles and book reviews.
EbscoHost Web provides access to a number of key databases of relevance. Among the available resources are:
- Academic Search Premier is a multidisciplinary database providing full text for more than 4,600 journals, including nearly 3,900 peer-reviewed titles. PDF backfiles to 1975 or further are available for well over one hundred journals. See also Academic Search Complete, a scholarly, multidisciplinary full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1887.
- eBooks on EBSCOhost pProvides access to more than 2.4 million e-books, including 300,000+ DRM-free titles.
- Education Full Text (Wilson) provides full text of articles from over 350 journals as far back as 1996, in addition to indexing of over 770 periodicals dating back to 1983. Content includes in-depth coverage of special education, with over 50 journals dedicated to this important topic, and more than 100,000 controlled and cross-referenced names of educational tests. Subject coverage includes adult education, continuing education, literacy standards, multicultural/ethnic education, teaching methods, and much more.
- Education Index Retrospective: 1929-1983 indexes more than 800 periodicals and yearbooks, and cites approximately 850,000 articles, including book reviews. The database provides information on societal trends affecting education, including segregation, multiculturalism, feminism, and economic developments. Subject coverage includes adult education, continuing education, literacy standards, multicultural/ethnic education, teaching methods, and much more.
- Education Research Complete is the definitive online resource for education research. This massive file offers the world's largest and most complete collection of full-text education journals. It is a bibliographic and full-text database covering scholarly research and information relating to all areas of education. Topics covered include all levels of education from early childhood to higher education, and all educational specialties, such as multilingual education, health education, and testing.
- ERIC (EBSCO), the Education Resource Information Center, provides access to education literature and research. The database provides access to information from journals included in the Current Index of Journals in Education and Resources in Education Index. Content includes journal articles, research reports, curriculum and teaching guides, conference papers, dissertations and theses, and books dating back to 1966.
Family and Society Studies Worldwide provides citations and some abstracts in social work, social science and family practice. It includes citations from the discontinued print publication Inventory of marriage and family literature and from its electronic continuation, Family studies database (1970-present); other citations derived from Australian family & society abstracts (1980-present); the National Clearinghouse on Family Violence of Health Canada; and the U.S. Military Family Resource Center Documents Database. Source documents include related websites, internet documents, professional journals, conference papers, books, book chapters, selected popular literature, government reports, discussion and working papers, unpublished material such as poster sessions, statistical documents, theses, dissertations and other sources.
Family Studies Abstracts includes bibliographic records covering essential areas related to family studies, including marriage, divorce, family therapy, and other areas of key relevance to the discipline. Records are selected from many of the top titles within the discipline, including Journal of Family Studies, Journal of Marriage & Family, and Family Relations.
JSTOR is an online archive of over 1,200 leading scholarly journals across the humanities, social sciences, and sciences, as well as select monographs and other materials valuable for academic work. Journals are always included from volume 1, issue 1 and include previous and related titles. The most recently published issues (the past 3-5 years) are generally not available through JSTOR, though they usually are through other e-sources.
PsycINFO covers the scholarly literature in the psychological, social, behavioral, and health sciences.
Reader's Guide Full Text is known as being "the index that revolutionized the world of research." It focuses on more popular citations and full text for current events, curriculum support, and quality periodicals for students, educators, and library patrons. Subjects Covered include aeronautics, African-Americans, aging, astronomy, automobiles, biography, business, Canada, children, computers, consumer education, current events, education, environment, fashion, film, fine arts, food, foreign affairs, health, history, hobbies, home, journalism, leisure, medicine, music, news, nutrition, photography, politics, religion, science, sports, and television.
Poster Image: Dance of the Mountaineers, from The Ziegfeld Collection of International Children's Art, Courtesy of Teachers College, Columbia University
To request disability-related accommodations contact OASID at email@example.com, (212) 678-3689, or (646) 755-3144 video phone, as early as possible.
Last Updated: 5:30 pm, Wednesday, Dec 1 , 2021