The Gottesman Libraries encourages respectful, non-disruptive, and productive use of collections and spaces for research, education, and study. We take seriously the rights and safety of library users and staff. All users are expected to adhere to the following:
Respect for Others:
- Treat library staff, faculty, and other users with courtesy and respect.
- Behave in a manner that is not disruptive or threatening to others.
Continuous Learning Environment:
- Embrace the library as a place for intellectual growth, research, and knowledge sharing.
- Encourage an inclusive and diverse environment where everyone feels welcome and respected.
Use of Library Spaces:
- Refrain from using personal belongings to save workstations, desks, or seats.
- Bookable rooms are limited to Teachers College students, faculty and staff.
- Contact the Libraries before posting signage.
- Work in designated study spaces and observe established service hours.
- Respect designated collaborative spaces for discussion and quiet zones for individual study.
- Maintain the integrity of fixed furniture, configure mobile furniture to suit your study needs.
- Be mindful of your personal items. Unattended items may be removed by library staff.
- Limit wheeled vehicle use to strollers and equipment used by persons with disabilities.
- The library maintains a lost and found but is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
Use of Library Resources:
- Return borrowed materials on time and in the same condition as when borrowed.
- Adhere to the Libraries’ policies on the use of its collections.
- Refrain from deliberately misplacing or hiding the Libraries’ materials.
- Follow all copyright laws and intellectual property rights when reproducing or using library resources.
Library Technology Use:
- Adhere to the Libraries policies on the use of its workstations and technologies.
- Respect others by refraining from accessing or viewing inappropriate or offensive content.
- Ask for assistance before attempting to modify computer settings, software, hardware, or other technologies.
- Report technical issues or broken equipment to the Libraries staff.
Food and Drink:
- Abide by the Libraries’ food and drink policies.
- Report any concerns, incidents, or violations of the Code of Conduct to library staff.
- In case of emergencies or immediate threats, notify library staff or relevant authorities.
- Respond to emergencies, alarms, and other situations as instructed by the Libraries or Public Safety staff.
The Gottesman Libraries hopes that these guidelines help to create a space all users can appreciate and enjoy. Information on official Teachers College policy can be found via the Student Code of Conduct.